Thursday, October 27, 2011

Joy>Happiness & Perspective>Vision

Since coming back from helping with the New York Dreamcenter, I have had so much on my mind. Processesing everything that God has been putting on my heart is difficult, but I’ll try to blog about one topic at a time. Forgive me for any bunny trails. J 
One thing I want to write about is something that God has kept reminding me of over and over for the past year or so. It comes up in my conversations, I hear it in sermons and it’ll randomly come up in different ways. This is something that’s been brewing in my heart for quite some time now. I’m talking about staying faithful and being joyful with where God has us, and soaking in everything we can get from the seasons we go through.
Can I just say, this is so difficult! A lot of times, God gives us a dream or bits and pieces of a vision for our lives, and if we’re not careful, it can consume our thoughts! This past Sunday, Pastor Brad of the NY Dreamcenter, gave an awesome message titled “Uncertainty-The Interpretation of the Dream.” One of the things he said really stood out to me: “The path to your destiny is not always a straight line.” What does that mean? God puts us through different seasons in life to develop something in us or prepare us for what’s to come. And most of the time, these seasons are very unpleasant and we can’t see or feel the change or reasons for them. But what do we do in the meantime!?
Something I feel God has been showing me is that I need to just learn to enjoy the journey. There is so much freedom in just giving God my future. Not just saying it, but laying it in front of Him and leaving it! Wow. Once I truly stopped worrying about what my future will look like, God has completely restored the joy that this world had stolen from me. I was reading a devotional a while back, (Jesus Calling. I highly recommend it!) and it was saying to take each day gently, being fully aware of God’s presence that is always with us. I love that! Just take today as it comes and be joyful for where God has us. How do we stay joyful in every season? A little perspective goes a long way. I pray that God starts to give me an aerial view of what’s happening. I pray for God-perspective, to see that it’s so much bigger than what I can see and my little world. I’ve started asking myself these questions: What is God doing in my life? What is He showing me in all this? What can I learn?
When that fails, I remind myself that right now, I only see in part. I may not think that the season I’m going through has anything to do with where I want to be, but one day I will see the purpose of it and praise God! He works all things together for my good. Plus, who am I to question my God? 20 But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God? “Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’”[h] 21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use? (Romans 9:20-21)
But most of all, I find the most joy when I spend time in His presence and become aware of Him throughout my day. He speaks to us all the time, we just have to learn to listen. I crave that alone time with Him so much! It’s like a secret place that only me and my Savior know. There is an incredible joy in just living in complete surrender to Him and being content in the season He has put me in! But I’ll be honest, I have a hard time disciplining myself to set aside that personal time with Him. This is something I’m working on. I can always tell when I’m overdue for some Jesus time. My whole disposition is different.
I apologize for the lengthiness of this blog. I could go on and on about it! I hope that we, as Christ followers start to live in the joy of His presence and see things with new eyes.
1 You have searched me, LORD,
   and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
   you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
   you are familiar with all my ways.
4 Before a word is on my tongue
   you, LORD, know it completely.
5 You hem me in behind and before,
   and you lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
   too lofty for me to attain. Psalm 139:1-6

No comments:

Post a Comment