Monday, September 23, 2013

My Muchness

One of my favorite movies is the most recent Alice in Wonderland that came out in 2010. Now, I know what you're thinking: "That's just because it has Johnny Depp in it!" Well, that's only partially true. ;) Aside from it being a Tim Burton film with really cool cinematography, there's something that stuck with me. It's from my favorite scene in the movie, where Mad Hatter is talking to Alice about her return to Wonderland. He says:

"You're not the same as you were before. You were much more... muchy-er. You've lost your muchness."

I've felt like that for a long time now. Like maybe I've lost a piece of myself, my creativity, my freedom, my "muchness". But I've realized something; who is the one being that wants me to feel defeated, worn out and small because he fears me? Satan. Like Alice, we have a great destiny and purpose for our life. And the Red Queen will do whatever she can to stop it.

"We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair.  We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed." 2 Corinthians 4:8-9

This verse reminds me a little of something that Alice said: "I've been told where I must go and who I must be. I've been shrunk, stretched, scratched, and stuffed into a teapot!" But Alice knew who she was and what she was supposed to do and it kept her going. In the end, as it turned out, she never really lost her "muchness". It was there all along.



It's the same with you and I. Not because of who we are, but because of Whose we are. We are 
greatly loved by God, His child, an heir of God and co-heir with Christ, a member of God’s family, blessed in the heavenly realm with every spiritual blessing, chosen to be part of a royal priesthood and a holy nation set apart for God. That doesn't sound very small or weak. 

Sure, some days we don't shine as bright, feel as good, smile as much, work as hard and feel like we are 2 inches tall. But let's remember Whose we are, and that we haven't lost our "muchness".

 

No comments:

Post a Comment